- OUR MISSION
- OUR VISION
- OUR OBJECTIVES
- EXECUTIVE TEAM
BRIEF ON GEOINFORMATION SOCIETY OF NIGERIA
The advances in Geoinformation have opened many areas of applications of geospatial information for research, development and frontiers of intellectual development. There has been increasing awareness of the use of geospatial information for effective decision-making over the years, coupled with increased availability of both primary and secondary datasets from the practitioners in the country. This has led to the realization for the need to establish a society to promote the multi-disciplinary nature of geospatial information and technology.
In addition, there is an urgent need to adopt policies for promoting greater awareness and public access to standards and coordinated geospatial data production, usage, management and dissemination. The aim of this Society is therefore to ensure that geospatial information and its services permeate every aspect of the society for accelerated socio-economic development of Nigeria in particular and the World in general.
Nigerians engaged in the generation and application of Geoinformation whether as scientists, geographers, land surveyors, engineers, geologists, planners, academics and other professionals and students of related disciplines have agreed to come together to form a non-profit, and non-partisan National Body for the development, advancement and applications of Geoinformation technologies:
WHEREAS, there is a need for such body to speak with one voice and offer its advice on national issues related to Geoinformation and to set and maintain standards applicable to Geoinformation as well as enforcement of compliance to the standards.
As we recognize that Geoinformation is multidisciplinary in nature, our ethical responsibilities extend to the public, to our clients and to our peers. Accordingly, we acknowledge and identify the basic values of integrity, competence, equality and social awareness and hereafter uphold and advance these values by;
- Supporting and participating in the continuing development of Geoinformation;
- Giving service to mankind in honesty and forthrightness within the ambits of Geoinformation;
- Recognizing the inalienable rights of our members and indeed the rights of other professionals in the quest to develop the course of science and humanity in Nigeria in particular and world at large;
- Using our expertise for enhancement of human welfare and for the stewardship of national resources via the applications of Geoinformation; and
- Advancement of Geoinformation through encouragement and promotion of cutting edge, technologies, research, applications, and development.
To promote and facilitate geospatial information Integration, Knowledge and Innovation sharing among members and institutions in Nigeria and beyond.
- To initiate, coordinate and advance scientific knowledge and research in the various disciplines where Geoinformation is applicable in Nigeria and beyond.
- To provide avenue for free exchange of ideas between members of GEOINFORMATION SOCIETY OF NIGERIA in Nigeria and other countries of the world.
- To promote public awareness for the applications of
Geoinformation and the related sciences.
- To promote and encourage research, training and education in Geoinformation.
- To establish, maintain and enforce standards for competence and
Performance for the various disciplines in Geoinformation management and the related Sciences.
- To encourage the publishing, circulation and exchange of scientific papers, journals, dealing with Geoinformation and other related sciences.
- To hold conferences, seminars, workshops, exhibitions, lectures, discussions, technical tours and social events concerned with particular aspects of Geoinformation and related disciplines.
- To further and foster the national and international recognition and understanding of Geoinformation and its various applications.
- To recognize and honour achievers in any areas of Geoinformation by administering varieties of awards to honour the achievements of individuals, groups or institutions.